Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Teardrops

Australia Day is coming up on January 26th and I thought I could take the opportunity to share with you something that happened on this national day of celebration back in 2007.

It was the day an obsession was born.

My husband and I were wandering through the city with our 2 little men, D was yet to be born, on our way to the harbour celebrations. Along Macquarie street every Australia Day, is an exhibition of classic vehicles, cars, motorcycles, buses and caravans. I was oohing and aahing over classic Jaguars, Ferraris and such when I spotted this...

I should explain I have an obsession with miniature versions of anything (seriously I nearly sobbed once at the sight of a tiny tube of Colgate in a hotel) and the sight of this tiny caravan nearly sent me over the edge!!!

I mean seriously, look at the little curtains over the window and the teeny kitchen.

I got chatting with the owner and she explained that these little caravans/campers are called Teardrops and were originally made in the 1930s. They are tiny and literally just have a kitchen space in the trunk and enough interior space for a mattress. They have had a resurgence in popularity and clever people out there are making brand new versions!

Check out these cuties...

Go-fast stripes!

Wood-panelled luxury.

Fully-fitted kitchen.

Hotel-style boudoir.

Why not bring the boat?

It really doesn't help that these are available on the market now at not-ridiculous prices! Check this one out...

Turquoise - check!

Wining and dining function - check!

Even the hubcaps are blue, seriously did somebody crawl inside my head and build this for me? Sob!

And look at the sleeping area, complete with porthole window, bookshelf and bunch of flowers!

If YOUR husband will let you get one of these here is the listing on eBay.

The only possible change I would make to this tiny thing of beauty is the kitchen, I think I would kit it out more like this...


I know!!! Duck egg blue accents and appliances, sigh... This one is for sale here.

I know these probably aren't the most practical caravans for a family of five but I want one soooo badly!!!

13 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

Oh god I'm with you I'd LOVE one! It's just that there's still a bit of ground work to do on the hubby, but it will happen..one day...

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Love it - those are so cute!

JunkStuffTreasures said...

They are the cutest things on earth! I would love one for my driveway, so I could hide from the family!

The Thrifty Picker - Rachael said...

i am with mel, i have wanted a teardrop for a few years now. i love the minimalistic approach of it all...just a cute little shelter over your head with a kitchen off the back. i'd prob have to let the hubby get a boat if i got one of these though, it would be a little caravan going town the road...sedan, teardrop, boat ;)

Kylie said...

Awwww.
I want one (Now!)
Am sending a link to my husband. Pronto.
Thanks for sharing x

Eleni said...

Oh my GOD! Thanks, thanks a lot: the obsession is contagious!

The White Pear Tree said...

I'm quite liking those! They're awesome!

Mushee said...

One of these might be a living option for myself and Niall...

Missa said...

The blue one! So adorable! Yes, we love our teardrop trailer and one of our goals for this year is to finish decking it out and get it out on the road more. Ours is a bit wider than most (the size of a queen size bed rather than a double) and it makes all the difference since we squeeze the three of us in there.

It'll be perfect once your boys are old enough to be in their own tent. You and the hubby can sleep in the trailer. That's what my sister and brother-in-law do with theirs :)

Missa said...

Also, have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Teardrops-Tiny-Trailers-Douglas-Keister/dp/1423602749

Vanessa said...

I'm obsessed with "minis" too. Loving EACH and every one of these! Perfection, each one!

Hello Vintage said...

Wow, they are gorgeous. Unfortunately I think I would get a bit claustrophobic if I tried to sleep in one. I once slept on a small caravan bunk bed where I would hit my elbows on the ceiling if I rolled over in my sleep - freaked me out a bit. lol

Michelle said...

The first time I saw a teardrop, I fell in love! My husband says when we retire....but I think when we retire, I'll want a little more space, possibly a table and chairs to sit at inside, so when we are off on a jaunty trip around the country, and it rains, I won't have to just lie down. But I don't know for sure. Teardrops are just so darn lovely!